I love flying. I especially adore long haul flights. The longer, the better. I love aeroplane food, I love in-flight entertainment, I love aeroplane seats... I am completely loop-the-loop crazy about aviation, and I'm not ashamed! I'm not going to lie, one of the aspects of our honeymoon about which I was most excited was the long plane ride over to Asia! So here are some of my top plane-ride enjoyment tips, interspersed with photos I took on the plane to and from Hong Kong last month...
1. Wear comfortable clothes! One of these days, I'll show you my favourite plane outfit, but what it boils down to is, layers, nothing tight, and wear shoes you can slip on and off!
2. Book a seat that makes you feel more comfortable. I love the window seat because I like to lean against the wall, and I love to look out of the window whilst we are slipping through the night sky. Some people prefer the aisle because they can get in and out easily, and they might not like seeing out of the window! You can even book seats with extra leg-room on some flights and airlines. Do some research and find the best seat for you - You're going to be sitting in it for long enough!
3. Pack a little bag in your big bag! I like to have all my bits and bobs nearby, so I have a little bag inside my big bag, which I take out upon boarding the plane, and put under the seat in front of me. My big bag goes in the overhead compartment.
4. In your little bag, pack your see-through zip-lock toiletries bag, so you can have that on hand during the flight. I usually carry hand sanitiser, moisturiser, lip balm, deodorant, and makeup wipes in mine. I don't bother with in-flight makeup, although I kind of envy those who do. I always wished I was a bit more high maintenance!
5. Scope out the in-flight entertainment as soon as you're on the plane! Have fun planning a little viewing schedule for yourself! Plan it around meal times, and don't feel guilty if all you want to watch is comedy, or action movies!
6. Take little walks. Even if you're in the window seat! Suck it up, and ask the person in the aisle to let you past! Have a little wander to the loo, stretch your legs! Peek at what other people are watching on their tiny screens! Look out of the emergency exit window... grab a snack! Loads of airlines have snacks in the galley so you can pick them up whenever you like. Pro Tip: Cathay Pacific often has cup noodles. If you buzz your little buzzer and ask for noodles, they bring them to you, even in the middle of the night!
7. Accept that it's cramped, and you're stuck there. Treat it like a bit of down-time. You're neither here nor there! You don't exist on planet earth at that moment, and so you can do whatever the hell you want! You are cocooned in a magical metal beast, flying through the sky, and your only obligations are to curl up with a blanket (ask for an extra early on in the flight or they'll all go!) and watch crap telly!
What are your best in-flight enjoyment tips? Or do you hate flying? Let me know in the comments, if you like!
And check out this post about travelling with a disability written by Hayley-Ezti!